Quick Start Guide to Create Content for Your Community – Ep 82
In this episode, we give you our quick-start mapping exercise to create content for your community that will wow your community and keep them interested.
It can be challenging to consistently create content and not run out of things to say. Even if you know what to focus on, you might still be looking for clarity.
In this episode, we will share our best tips and follow it up with a very practical exercise that will help identify your passions and expertise and ensure that you never worry about writer’s block again.
5 Tips to Choose Your Main Topic
- Tip #1: Whatever topic you choose, make sure you have a passion for it because you have to create content on a weekly basis. Choose topics that you’re passionate about and for which and you have a deep understanding. You are going to have to talk about your topic often and in depth.
- Tip #2: Cater to your audience’s wants and needs by talking to them and asking them what they want to learn about. Pay attention to other influencers in your niche to see what they are talking about and what the people who follow them in their community are talking about and the questions they are asking. Quora can also serve as a tool to see what kind of questions people are asking about your topic. Just search for your topic and read the questions.
- Tip #3: You can always pivot in the future if the market conditions or your interests change. For now, just go with what you’re passionate about. Don’t let finding the perfect topic hold you up.
- Tip #4: Recognize when you are stuck and use the exercise we’re sharing with you to get unstuck, move forward and stay on track.
- Tip #5: Only teach what you know. There are always people that are a few steps behind you that would benefit from your guidance. Don’t overstep your expertise and you will feel more confident.
Simple Content Mapping Exercise
Kami created this exercise for a brand looking to train their team on how to write for a corporate blog without sounding corporate, and to come up with ideas to write about In the podcast she runs through the process for using the mapping exercise with Madalyn. We have created a blank version for you to use. Fill out the form below to download it instantly!
I AM GOOD AT
I AM PASSIONATE ABOUT
1. Community Building
A. Helping People
2. Starting Things
B. The Details
C. Cutting Edge Tech
1. How to Build Mentorship Into Your Community (1A)
2. How to Create a Plan for Your Community (1B)
3. The Best Tech to Use In Your Community (1C)
4. How to Start a Volunteer Program in Your Community (2A)
5. How to Not Get Stuck in the Details When Starting Something New (2B)
6. Why You Should Always Be Trying New Tools (2C)
7. Why Listening is the Best Way to Help Your Community (3A)
8. How LIstening Can Improve Your Product or Service (3B)
9. What Podcasts or Websites You Should Listen to or Read to Keep Up New Tech (3C)
Tools, apps and links mentioned:
7 Types of Content to Rock Your Community – Ep 15
5 Ways to Quickly Create Relevant Content – Ep 18
Download the Simple Content Mapping Exercise worksheet and create your own custom list of content based on what you are both passionate about and good at. Then come and share with us what you came up with in our Facebook Community (use the secret word, ACTION, to get in).
How to reach Kami:
If you’d like to learn more about Kami Huyse, visit her website at www.zoeticamedia.com. You can contact her by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet to @kamichat.
How to reach Madalyn:
If you’d like to learn more about Madalyn Sklar, visit her website at www.madalynsklar.com. You can contact her by email at email@example.com or tweet to @MadalynSklar.
Join Our Community
We have a new community on Facebook. We will extend the conversation from each episode and deliver bonus content. Sign up for our email list at http://bit.ly/CTCVIP to get an invitation to join or just click the “Join Our Free Community” below to head straight to Facebook (shhh. The codeword is ACTION)!