How to Get Unstuck and Start a New Project – Ep 92
Have you ever felt stuck when you were starting a new project? We share 5 things that have helped us take action and launch high impact projects.
5 Things to Get Unstuck and Take Action
1. Write out a plan
- Think about what your steps are and write them out. Just start with what you can think of, a basic plan, and list out bullet points to create something visual for yourself.
- Don’t worry about getting it all perfect at first because you can tweak as you go. Getting started is part of getting unstuck.
- When Madalyn decided to restart the #TwitterSmarter podcast, she mapped out her steps on paper. Her initial plan looked like this:
- Restart podcast
- Check Calendly
- Schedule people
- Tweak it
- Check editor’s schedule
- Check with VA on show notes
2. Create a System that is repeatable
- One of the most important things you can do is to create systems as soon as possible. Never do something twice if you don’t have to.
- Trello is a great place to create checklists and store processes for easy reference. Asana is a similar tool where you can collaborate with others on projects and tasks.
- ConvertKit is a powerful tool to set up auto-responders.
3. Get your plan on the calendar and look for conflicts
- Knowing where you need to end up helps you to keep from getting stuck, feeling overwhelmed, getting off track or wasting time.
- Once you have your calendar in order, look ahead and look for things to get rid of. Think about how you can get results in the least amount of steps possible.
- Ask yourself, “What three tasks must I finish today that will bring me one step closer to my ultimate goal?”
- Ask yourself, “What’s the ONE thing I can do such that by doing it everything else will be easier or unnecessary?”
4. Get help
- A team effort pays off and it helps to work in a collaborative environment so everything doesn’t fall on you to do it.
- If you feel like you can’t afford help, look at how you can use a part-time worker from Upwork or through your friend’s network.
- If you are a consultant, you can also use a part-time person to help with billable work, helping you recoup the cost. This frees you up so you have more time to work in your genius zone and make more money.
- You can’t make more money until you have more people. You can only work so much before you hit a ceiling.
5. Downsize your expectations
- There’s always room and time to grow bigger. Don’t think you have to do everything at once when, in fact, you can just scale gradually.
Tools, apps and links mentioned:
- Madalyn’s #TwitterSmarter podcast
- Amy Porterfield and Kate Northup, Do Less
- Do Less Book
- Full Focus Planner by Michael Hyatt
- The One Thing book by Gary Keller & Jay Papasan
- Google Sheets
- Google Docs
What one system can you put into place to make things run smoother? Ask yourself, “What things do you do over and over again?” Come over to the Communities That Convert Facebook group and share your ideas about where you are stuck and let us support you.
How to reach Kami:
How to reach Madalyn:
Join Our Community
We have a new community on Facebook. We will extend the conversation from each episode and deliver bonus content. Sign up for our email list at http://bit.ly/CTCVIP to get an invitation to join or just click the “Join Our Free Community” below to head straight to Facebook (shhh. The codeword is ACTION)!