When You Should and Shouldn’t Move Fast on Social Media Trends – Ep 110
In social media, slow and steady will often win the race, but when new features pop up in your social media platform of choice, it is often the first adopters that rise to the front. Strategically jumping on new social media trends and features can breathe new life into your social media presence and garner attention. In this episode, we'll talk about if and when you should jump on new trends.
Strategic reasons to jump on a new trend or feature:
- The social network where the new feature pops up is your main platform where you have your main presence.
- The social network where the new feature pops up is one where you are trying to strategically grow.
- You see a good portion of your audience moving to the platform or using the feature.
What are the benefits?
- Platform algorithms favor the new features
- Being an early adopter has its benefits for your credibility
- Less competition makes you stand out
- Helps build an audience quickly
What are the obstacles?
- The time it takes to learn something new
- Fear of trying something new
- Waiting for someone to tell you how
Should you jump on every trend?
- It depends if it lines up with your mission and purpose
- Clearly define what you are trying to accomplish and where your audience is engaging
- If you want to build an audience on a particular platform, you might want to use a new feature as a jumping-off point to get a toehold
- It’s a balance. Don’t overwhelm yourself with all of the newest trends and don’t get stuck on one platform, not noticing if your audience has moved away from you
- Be patient. The feature may take time to catch on and it’s easy to stop before it really takes off
- You need to do a cost-benefit analysis to decide how much time and effort it takes vs. how likely is it to really take off.
What are the new trends right now?
As of this recording, we pulled a few trends and features we see on some of the top social media networks.
- Instagram IGTV – It is now showing up on the timeline of your Instagram feed, so it’s a good time to jump on this trend if you haven’t already, and now you can schedule them. (see link below)
- Instagram Chat Sticker – Used to create an instant focus group about a topic or idea and a great way to engage with your audience one-on-one in a chat.
- Twitter Search DMs – New feature that allows you to search users instead of scrolling through all of them. As of now, you can’t search for keywords or terms.
- Twitter Media Studio – Allows you to add a call to action link, bolded headline, and description in your tweet. This helps you connect with your audience on a deeper level. You have to have a Twitter Ads account to access Media Studio. (see link below)
- Facebook Watch Party – Schedule a replay of your live content, watch with your community and have a chat around the video.
- Communities that Convert Facebook Group
- Instagram’s new chat sticker lets friends ask to get in on the conversation directly in Stories
- Using the Lesser-Known Twitter Media Studio to Improve Your Video Marketing
- Twitter Ads
- Facebook rolls out new video tools, plus Instagram and IGTV scheduling feature
Choose one of the above features or any other trend or feature you have noticed lately and try it out. Then report back to us in our private Facebook group and let us know how it went. To join the Communities That Convert private Facebook group, click this link and it will take you to the Facebook page. The secret word is ACTION. See you on the inside.
Join Our Community
Come join our community on Facebook where we extend the conversation from each episode and deliver bonus content.
(shhh. The codeword is ACTION)!
How to reach Kami:
If you’d like to learn more about Kami Huyse, visit her website at www.zoeticamedia.com. You can contact her by email at email@example.com or tweet to @kamichat.
How to reach Madalyn:
If you’d like to learn more about Madalyn Sklar, visit her website at www.madalynsklar.com. You can contact her by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet to @MadalynSklar.