How to Start a Podcast for your Community – Ep 27
Have you been thinking about how to start a podcast? In this episode, we walk you through how we started ours and we put together a free quick start template to help you get started.
People have been asking us about how to start a podcast, so we have dedicated this show to sharing our insights after 6 months of running this awesome podcast.Podcast Template
How to start a podcast?
- Choose a good topic and niche audience
- Choose a launch date and stick to it
- Create a title that will resonate with people
- Research to ensure you can have a unique URL
How do you brand a podcast?
- It’s important to have branding when you’re starting something new
- Create artwork that reflects the podcast
- Think about whether you want to use a graphic or a personal photo
- You can always change artwork later if you decide to re-brand
- Create a color palette
- Look at other podcasts to see what grabs your attention and strategize what branding stands out
Where do you create a home for your podcast?
- Consider if you want a website, using the URL you initially secured
- Research platforms and consider the flexibility and functions you want
Do you need a team?
- Think about the tasks you can assign to a team
- Consider if you will do the podcast solo or with a co-host
- Determining the format of the podcast with dictate the type of team you need
- Your podcast production team may consist of a co-host, a virtual assistant, an audio engineer and/or a graphic artist
What kind of podcasts can you do?
- Solo- Just you
- Cohost- Conversational
- Interview- Podcast guest speakers
- Storytelling- NPR Style
- Episodic- Seasons of topics
- Sponsored – Advertisements built in
What tech needs to be in place?
- If you have a computer or a phone, you can podcast.
- Sound matters, it needs to be clean and crisp. For starters, you can look for the Audio‑Technica ATR2100 microphone.
- You will need the ability to record video and audio recording. Try some of the tools below.
- A hosting company is required for your podcast where you put your podcasts when they’re recorded. This is how your podcast becomes available for everyone to listen to.
- You may want to hire an editor to edit and finalize your podcast before publishing.
Do you need an editorial calendar?
- In episode 18, we talked about 5 ways to quickly create relevant content and make a great editorial calendar. Have an idea of what you’ll talk about well in advance. https://communitiesthatconvert.com/5-ways-to-quickly-create-relevant-content-ep-18/
- If you do a weekly or monthly podcast, you don’t want to reach the deadline and not have a topic prepared.
- Without an editorial calendar, you’ll be inconsistent with publishing your podcast.
How do you promote your podcast?
- Send an email out to your list
- Use social media to share with your community
Tools, apps and links mentioned:
How to reach Kami:
How to reach Madalyn:
Join Our Community
We have a new community on Facebook. We will extend the conversation from each episode and deliver bonus content. Sign up for our email list at http://bit.ly/CTCVIP to get an invitation to join or just click the “Join Our Community” below to head straight to Facebook (shhh. The codeword is ACTION)!
Join Our Community