How to Overcome the Fear of Missing Out (FOMO) on Social Media – Ep 47
Our brains are wired to respond to the Fear of Missing Out (FOMO) on Social Media. Learn how to overcome the naturally occurring negative bias in your brain that predispose you to FOMO.
In this episode, we are talking about FOMO, anxiety caused by a desire to stay continually connected to what others are doing. We’ll discuss ways that you can reframe the Fear Of Missing Out to the Freedom Of Making Optimism.
How to Overcome the Fear of Missing Out (FOMO) on Social Media Episode Highlights
- There’s been a lot of neuro-research conducted around negative bias. Your brain responds and reacts more strongly to negative stimuli and thus, you focus more on negative instances.
- When exposed to negative stimuli, there is a greater surge in electrical activity in our brains. As a result, our attitudes are more heavily influenced by downbeat news than good news.
- As research relates to FOMO, we tend to focus more on what we’re not accomplishing rather than what we are accomplishing and what others are accomplishing that we aren’t.
- Mirror neurons mirror the behavior of others that we observe. These neurons fire up the premotor cortex of our brains which prepares us for motion, and parietal lobe that grabs our attention. This is why there are contagious actions and feelings and why we want to be like others.
FOMO is in the brain, so how do we overcome it?
- Law of Attraction. The Law of Attraction is the belief that by focusing on positive or negative thoughts, people can bring positive or negative experiences into their life.
- Reframing. Get away from trying to exercise self-control, because willpower is limited. Studies show that willpower is an expendable resource and you only have so much every day. Instead, reframe the way you think. Replace the subject or matter of frustration with another thought.
- Avoidance. Stop focusing on competitors which will slow you down. You do you. Spending time reflecting on the competitor is a waste of time and only hurts you.
Tools, links and apps mentioned:
Share with us which of the ways you are going to use to put FOMO to bed or share how you already have so we can all learn from you. Go to our Facebook Group or share on Twitter with the hashtag #CTCPodcast.
How to reach Kami:
If you’d like to learn more about Kami Huyse, visit her website at www.zoeticamedia.com. You can contact her by email at email@example.com or tweet to @kamichat.
How to reach Madalyn:
If you’d like to learn more about Madalyn Sklar, visit her website at www.madalynsklar.com. You can contact her by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet to @MadalynSklar.
Join Our Community
We have a new community on Facebook. We will extend the conversation from each episode and deliver bonus content. Sign up for our email list at http://bit.ly/CTCVIP to get an invitation to join or just click the “Join Our Free Community” below to head straight to Facebook (shhh. The codeword is ACTION)!