5 Steps to Define Your Ideal Customer – Ep 84
Defining your ideal customer is probably one of the most foundational things that you can do to ensure that your business succeeds.
Last week we introduced our new series where we will be walking you through the steps you need to take to grow your online community. We are big believers that you are only 1,000 true fans away from success with your social media efforts.
No matter who you are…
- If you don’t know what you want to create yet and are trying to figure it out
- If you have already created an online presence or community but need to dial it in a little
- If you have a thriving community and are always looking for ways to make it better
…this series of episodes is for you.
This week we are going to take a deep dive in how you can choose your perfect customer for your community. Customers can be defined as anyone with whom you might want to transact business, trade services, or even from who you want to enlist support, especially if you are a nonprofit.
Defining WHO you want to help is critically important to getting the results you need. There are several ways to pinpoint your perfect audience for your product, service or message.
5 steps to identify your ideal customer:
- Choose ONE type of customer
- Niche your audience down, maybe even down to one specific person or avatar. For example, John Lee Dumas from the podcast Entrepreneur on Fire calls his avatar Jimmy.
- Describe yourself a few years ago. If you can tell people the steps you took to get where you are now, it is a great way to build an audience. This works well because the people you attract are the people who want to get to where you’re at.
- Describe one group of people for which your product, service or message would be most helpful.
- Determine the Demographics of the person or group
- Identify the age, race, income, education and profession of the person. This makes up a person’s identity.
- You can use Facebook Insights to determine the demographics of the people following you if you have an existing business page or fan page.
- Use a browser to access Twitter’s analytics. The “audiences” option provides you with demographics, lifestyle information, consumer behavior information, interests, income and net worth. It’s a really helpful tool.
- Consider the psychographics of behavior of the person
- Describe how they look, what car they drive, where they live, what their hobbies might be and any other details to bring them to life.
- For a small investment, you can do some targeting through Facebook Ads Manager. You can create an audience for an ad and then abandon it before it runs and not spend a penny.
- Think about their problems and goals
- Think about the problems this person faces and how that relates to your product or service. If you don’t know, just ask.
- It’s important to understand the problems they have so you can speak directly to them.
- Identify the difference between what they think their problem is and what you know their problem is so you can help them overcome it.
- Envision what your customer is doing
- Determine what product or service attributes would be most helpful in solving this person’s problems. How else would this person look to solve his or her problems?
- Put yourself in this person’s shoes and think about how you’d solve their problem. Do everything you think they’d do, think like they’d think and do what they’d do to get an idea of what’s out there.
Once you go through this exercise, you will need to perfect your offer and then start to communicate with your “perfect” client or customer to test if your messaging resonates with them. If it doesn’t, you might need to adjust. We have created a worksheet below to help you define your ideal customer persona or avatar. Check out the TAKE ACTION step below.
Tools, apps and links mentioned:
Fill out the form to instantly download the Ideal Audience Persona Worksheet below and share your results in our online Facebook group (The secret word is ACTION).
Fill Out the Form Below and Instantly Download the
Ideal Audience Persona Worksheet
(You will also receive weekly podcast updates. You may unsubscribe at any time)
How to reach Kami:
How to reach Madalyn:
Join Our Community
We have a new community on Facebook. We will extend the conversation from each episode and deliver bonus content. Sign up for our email list at http://bit.ly/CTCVIP to get an invitation to join or just click the “Join Our Free Community” below to head straight to Facebook (shhh. The codeword is ACTION)!