7 Steps to Promote Your Business Without Being Spammy – Ep 33
Most people feel a little uncomfortable about promoting themselves or their business. We asked people why they felt that way and came up with the following 7 Steps to Promote Your Business Without Being Spammy.
Why are we so uncomfortable promoting ourselves and our businesses online?
We asked entrepreneurs, “Are you uncomfortable promoting yourself and what you are doing on social media channels? If so, why?”
These are some of the responses we got:
- I’m getting over being camera shy
- I’m not worth it
- I always get nervous to over-share
- Impostor syndrome
- I don’t want to sound braggy
- I really thought people didn’t care about what I had to say
- I didn’t want to add to the noise
- Fear of what others will think
- Fear of rejection
- I’m not doing much special
- I hate feeling markety and self-promotional
- Those who self-promote seem less genuine
- I’m very cognizant of making sure I’m contributing more than I’m asking for
- Self-deprecation is my superpower
Do any of these reasons ring true for you? Let us know in the comments.
“I hear this so much, especially from women. I try to gently remind them that they are really promoting the good they can do in the world, not themselves as selves per se.” — Laura J Fitton
Do we have the wrong idea about promotion? If so how do we do it the right way?
What steps should you take to feel more comfortable about promoting yourself?
- Practice in a safe environment like a sandbox or private group
- Get an accountability partner
- Get clear about your message and what you want people to do to help themselves and help them overcome their challenges
- Ask how you can help others, rather than asking them to help you
- Always add value first
- Keep it short, clear and to the point
- Practice daily because practice makes perfect and with time, you will get more comfortable
Don’t hold back if you’re nervous about doing video. Practice really helps. Remember, we all have something to share with the world. Just do it!
“You have a light and you have a responsibility to spread that light.” — Kim Garst
Tools, apps and links mentioned:
Write down one thing that people usually come to you for help about, even if you think it is nothing. Then jot down your best advice and come share it with us in the Facebook group. Share your light with us!
How to reach Kami:
If you’d like to learn more about Kami Huyse, visit her website at www.zoeticamedia.com. You can contact her by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet to @kamichat.
How to reach Madalyn:
If you’d like to learn more about Madalyn Sklar, visit her website at www.madalynsklar.com. You can contact her by email at email@example.com or tweet to @MadalynSklar.
Join Our Community
We have a new community on Facebook. We will extend the conversation from each episode and deliver bonus content. Sign up for our email list at http://bit.ly/CTCVIP to get an invitation to join or just click the “Join Our Free Community” below to head straight to Facebook (shhh. The codeword is ACTION)!