Live Events for Online Communities — Ep 5
In this episode, learn about live events for your online community and how it brings everyone closer, giving you the opportunity for a win-win-win.
- Live events are a great way to bring an online community together. Madalyn talks about how she brought members from her #TwitterSmarter chat together in person at this year’s Social Media Marketing World conference in San Diego.
- Live events can be an important part of building your online community and strengthening membership.
- When meeting members of your online community for the first time, it’s like meeting an old friend. We have a need for connection. It’s important to have that physical face-to-face contact.
- Is it okay to hijack or take over a large event and host your community there? Like say SXSW or Social Media Marketing World?
- The big draw of a great community is having the members connect with each other.
- Consider how connections can be beneficial and how people fit and mesh with each other. It’s a great way to hit it out of the park, as Kami says.
- Live events give you the opportunity for a win-win-win in a way that online communities don’t.
- Events are most successful when you find a need and can fill it with what the community needs or wants. And that’s what Kami did with Social Media Breakfast Houston and Madalyn with the #TwitterSmarter chat and podcast.
- What if you start something and no one shows up. Madalyn makes a great point with this: The idea is the seed and the roots are the event.
- The riches are in the niches because when you talk to everyone, you talk to no one.
Links, Tools & Apps Mentioned in this Episode:
- Social Media Marketing World
- South by Southwest (SXSW)
- Big Give Houston
- Social Media Breakfast Houston
- Create If Writing
Your call-to-action for this week is to meet someone locally in one of your online communities. We want you to reach out to someone nearby and have a face-to-face (or Skype) conversation. You can alway use someone in our #CommunitiesThatConvert or #VideoReplyDay community. Take a picture (or screenshot) and tweet it, Facebook it, or Instagram it with our super long hashtag (LOL!), #CommunitiesThatConvert. We’ll be monitoring it and we’ll call you out in a future podcast episode.
We are ranked #61 in Greece this week. Woo hoo!
And we have our first two reviews of this podcast. We found out from a service we’re using called Podrover.